Note that the W. Garfield Weston Award will not be offered in 2013.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I get an application?
You can only find our application form online on our website.
2. Can I fill a paper application form instead of applying online?
No. All applicants have to fill the application on our website. However, you cannot submit the application online - it must be mailed to us with original transcripts.
3. Can I photocopy the application?
Yes, you may photocopy the application as often as you like.
4. How many copies of the application form do I need to submit?
Your complete application package must include the following:
- One original application with an official transcript and personal statement if required.
- Two photocopies of the complete application, each including a photocopy of your transcript.
- One additional copy of the first page (page 4) of the application.
*Note: Do not submit pages 1 to 3. Double sided printing is appreciated.
Entrance awards are only open to students who are entering college for the first time in the Fall of 2012. Upper-year awards are open to students who are already enrolled in college or CEGEP and have at least one full academic year left in their current college or CEGEP program and will be pursuing this on a full-time basis.
6. How do I get my college administrator to nominate me for an upper-year award?
Once completed, the application can be printed. Students will have to submit their application directly to the designated representative at their institution. For a list of contacts and deadlines, click here. The representative will determine whom to nominate from the submitted applications, and will then forward the nominated applications directly to the W. Garfield Weston Awards.
7. What if my college is not on the list of participating colleges?
If you are a college administrator and are interested in joining our consortium, please contact Jesse Helmer at 1-866-544-2673 x226 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Are your awards open to university-bound students?
No, the W. Garfield Weston Awards does not offer awards to university-bound students. However, the Canadian Merit Scholarship Foundation (CMSF) does offer scholarships to students planning on attending a Canadian university. To see if you are eligible, visit www.loranaward.ca.
9. What is the deadline for the awards?
Applications for the Entrance W. Garfield Weston Awards must be received (not postmarked) by March 28, 2012.
Applicants to the Upper-Year W. Garfield Weston Awards are responsible for finding out when applications are due at their college or CEGEP in order to be considered for nomination. Click here for college or CEGEP representatives and deadlines.
10. I missed the deadline for the application, do you consider late applications?
We do not accept any late applications.
11. I am a student applying from outside of Canada. Can I apply for your scholarship?
Yes, if you meet all the eligibility criteria. Our entrance and upper-year awards are open to Canadian citizens and residents only, and upper-year award applicants must be enrolled in a participating Canadian community college.
12. I will be/am attending a college that is not on your list of participating community colleges, am I still eligible for your awards?
W. Garfield Weston Awards are available only to students entering or enrolled in participating community colleges in Canada. A list of all participating institutions can be found here. If your college is interested in joining our consortium, please contact us at 1-866-544-2673 or email@example.com.
13. I am interested in attending a private college, am I eligible for this award?
Our awards are not available to students entering or enrolled in private institutions.
14. Can you tell me more details about your awards?
General information on eligibility, award amounts, and what we look for in scholarship applicants can be found in the section of the website detailing each award. Please contact us directly if you would like additional information about your application.
15. Whom should I choose to write me a reference letter?
Make sure to choose someone who is not a relative but who knows you and your activities well. Provide him or her with a copy of your completed application and with information on our program.
16. When will I be notified about the status of my application?
Applicants who provide an accurate email address will receive confirmation of receipt in mid-April
Successful entrance and upper-year award applicants will be notified by two weeks before interviews. Only students who are being invited to interviews will be notified of their application status.
17. Can I defer my award?
Normally, W. Garfield Weston Awards may not be deferred.